Why You Should Consider Doing a Background Check on the Person You’re Dating

Dating times are changing–no longer do we sit around and cry over a bad boy like Olivia Newton-John did in Grease or tolerate getting smacked around like Audrey in Little Shop of Horrors or Rihanna; we take things into our own hands–we google a person before we go out on a date with them to get as much information on them before hand.

But is that enough? When you think about it–honestly, you wouldn’t let a stranger who just knocked on your door inside your home–would you? But yet, we go online and randomly select strangers to meet up and we think that’s safer.

And what if after a few dates you think–this is the one! But you were still unsure about a few things…he really won’t talk about his past or she really never mentions her family…and that little voice inside you keeps saying “Something’s not right.” Do you ignore it? No, you hire Skipp from Sherlock Investigations, Inc. to dig a little deeper. I’m sure Anne Hathaway will be hiring Skipp from now on!

Or what if you thought your spouse/partner was cheating? Would you want to know for sure?

Before you make up your mind–one way or another–tune into PART ONE of my interview with Skipp from Sherlock Investigations, Inc and find out some of the shocking things he’s seen on the job, and who exactly is hiring Skipp and his organization? You’ll be surprised to hear which type of clients hire him more! Listen as Skipp reports on the one time he was actually caught following someone.

You can follow Skipp on Twitter @Number1PI — he’s definitely one to follow because he believes that if a door closes, pick the lock!

Listen to internet radio with nandoism on Blog Talk Radio

Would you ever do a background check on someone you’re dating? Would you hire a private investigator to find out your spouse is cheating? Would you continue to date someone who did a background check on you? Leave your comment.

21 thoughts on “Why You Should Consider Doing a Background Check on the Person You’re Dating

• January 14, 2011 at 9:16 am

OMG. How dare you leave me hanging! Part 2 Part 2, now!

• January 14, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I know…I’m sorry!

• January 14, 2011 at 9:17 am

This was so good. And who knew the Gays were so smart when it comes to dating and background checks!

• January 14, 2011 at 3:53 pm

That’s how we roll!

• January 14, 2011 at 9:18 am

This is disgusting. I would never do a background check on someone. What happened to “gut” instinct? And I would never continue to date someone who had one done on me. Never!

• January 14, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Someone needs a cookie!

• January 14, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Someone needs a pack of cookies!

• January 14, 2011 at 9:30 am

NANDO! This ROCKS! Mark and Jeff are probably cheating on their wives, girlfriends, boyfriends. That’s why they oppose!

• January 14, 2011 at 3:54 pm

hehe, you Rock.

• January 14, 2011 at 1:17 pm

While I think this is an intriguing idea and makes excellent content, I find all of this stuff to be a huge violation of privacy.

Everybody has a past. Who someone pretends to be on the internet usually isn’t even close to who they are in real life. That’s why Facebook/Twitter Stalking is such a hit or miss tactic. If you’re so suspicious of your mate and think they’re cheating that you hire someone to follow them, then you don’t think enough of yourself and your own instincts and self-awareness. And if you’re so concerned that whomever you’re dating might be hiding a secret past or need to be sure you’re not going to get hurt, you’re totally missing out on the overall dating experience. This idea that the internet or a PI can protect you from being fooled is a myth. Fearing that your date is a sex offender or criminal borders on paranoia.

If they’re a sex offender or hardened criminal, it’s highly unlikely they’re giving people their real name. If they’re that devious, they’ve covered their tracks. Including bought themselves a new social security number (which btw, NOBODY should ever ever EVER give out to anyone but doctors, spouses, employers or the IRS.)

It’s very easy for non-criminals to change their name legally, too. So what do you do then? How far do you dig and push..and what does that say about you?

I don’t know. I think all of this is a by-product of information overload and self-preservation. Everybody is so afraid to make a mistake or put themselves out there.

Though I did love your Hunter Shout Out! What was her name? Stephanie Kramer? Total teenage girl crush.
    AndThatsWhyYoureSingle´s last blog post ..Best of Moxie – Blue Balled

• January 14, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I can totally see the plus side of having one done–especially on what you said, the child molester part. So many women marry them and they were convicted in another state. The PI would do all the dig’n around for ya! (If you had suspicion) Because let’s face it, not everyone has good insight/judgement with this.

Should you run a check on EVERYONE you date? Probably not, that would be expensive–but I think they should be part of the marriage process: Blood work. Check. Counseling. Check. Skipp on speed dial for Background. check.

• January 14, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I do background checks of sorts on pretty much everyone I do business and intimate social with. Who needs nasty surprises.

Course, I’m a Reality Adjuster, who works with Tarot cards, so I don’t use a PI, I use my cards.

But it just makes sense.

• January 14, 2011 at 4:01 pm

wow, you use cards? I love it! do you do over the phone readings?

• January 14, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Honey, I do over Twitter readings! I call them #TarotTwreadings.

I turn three tarot cards, read them, then reduce the reading to a single tweet. @Peppermaster calls me “scary accurate”. 😀

Want one?

(I have three in waiting mode, but if my file sorting pre-reformat of my PC goes well, I’ll get those done today. You’ll be fourth on my list).

• January 14, 2011 at 3:47 pm

I love how the Stephanie above automatically assumed people who balk at this are cheaters.

How often when he is hired to spy on a significant other, does it turn out the person is actually not cheating??

If you have to hire a private investigator to get proof about what you suspect or know, why are you even in the relationship at all at that point? I think anyone that does that is actually hoping to find 100% proof they are the “victim” and break up. If the trust is already that far gone, might as well let it go and save the $600 bucks, because if he isn’t cheating, you’re always going to suspect and never believe that no evidence was found. You’ll just be hiring the PI again the next time you suspect.

My two cents.

• January 14, 2011 at 4:03 pm

yeah–but it’s like buying a house–no? You trust that what the Realtor is telling you in true–but before you sign the papers–you do a final inspection…just to make sure…you know, that last “walk-around” and then you see what’s really under the hood!

I can see this as a precaution before taking a huge step. Hell, pre-nups already took the romance out of it–why not add this layer to the relationship burrito!

• January 14, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Background checks before – yeah – I’m not a great fan of but I can see the necessity, especially if kids, a business, etc are involved, you have to protect yourself and your family first. I was more referring to the snooping AFTER you are in the relationship – surveillance to see if he/she is cheating.

• January 17, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for asking my question! Of course, if it’s his business it’s unlikely that he would feel guilty – otherwise he wouldn’t be doing it.

This is an intriguing topic and I understand why someone wants to protect themselves from a possible freak. The media sensationalizes a lot of weirdo cases (e.g., Anne Hathaway) and it makes us all think, OMG, what if this happened to me? But the reality is these are serious exceptions that the media exploits for viewership.

I have to agree with Moxie on this one – it’s a violation of privacy. When making decisions about right or wrong, I often employ the good old golden rule. How would I feel if someone hired a PI to investigate ME? Particularly if I’ve given them no reason to be suspicious and he was just checking me out before we got serious. I’d probably think he was overly suspicious, paranoid, and untrusting. I’d be afraid that in a relationship, he’d freak out any time I came home late or would tap my phone if he found out I worked with an attractive man.

I just don’t think it’s a good way to earn trust in the beginning of a relationship. Sometimes — even if we don’t want to, and even though indeed bad things sometimes happen — we just need to take a leap of faith and trust that we are making the right decision. Googling someone is one thing. Hiring a PI just seems to be crossing a line for me. Maybe I’m old fashioned.

This was definitely an interesting interview and thought-provoking conversation – the best kind! Thanks, Nando!

• May 9, 2017 at 8:41 am

Hello Nando,

Great info.

Thanks for sharing useful points that will help while hiring a private investigator, actually my brother is interested in an investigation business and he wanted to start on your own. Your post is really helpful; now I know what things we need to keep in mind while starting an investigation business.

Thanks again!!

Best Regards

• May 10, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Let me know how that works out! So interested in things like this.