Sex and the City 2 Much to Handle

sexandthecity2movieposterAs the world gears up for the movie release on May 27th, known as, Sex and the City 2, to New Yorker’s, it’s known as, Project: We can finally breathe again. Those four women have taken friendship, dating, fashion and New York to a level unknown to man, it’s like what Oprah’s done for day-time TV. Just watching the trailer makes you want to call up a friend and complain about your man, your apartment, and your shoes–in that order. But what is it about Sex and the City that makes many of us react like this? In a time when we’re all struggling for independence and self-improvement, I can’t help but wonder, “Why are Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda our salvation?”

As I frantically googled spoiler reports on the movie this morning, my roommate walked in and asked, “Are they really making a Sex and the City 2?” I was shocked! What did he mean, “Are they really making a Sex and the City 2?” It was already made. And what planet was he from? Then I remembered, he’s straight. As he stood there in his sweatpants and Twisted Sister rock tee, I realized that straight men just don’t get the beauty, the charm or the true essence of what those four women represent. Yes, we can live “within our means” but, why? Yes, we can work regular jobs, but what’s the point in that? And lastly, we can all choose to date a normal man, but what fun would that be during Sunday brunch? (I think we all like to suffer like Carrie Bradshaw, deep inside)  And that’s when it hit me, Sex and the City represents the fairytale, the romance the drama of life–magnified by 100%. And that my friend, is the attraction.

What draws you in? Leave a comment.

15 thoughts on “Sex and the City 2 Much to Handle

• May 18, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Cute Blog !

What draws me in ?
    I think the Ladies, give us all a way to escape from the real life drama that we go through on a day to day basis. It’s nice to be able to get away for a while and fantasize what life would be like if we lived in their shoes.

Oh yes, shoes shoes shoes ! It must be an ingredient that all women are born with, at least a good amount of us anyways. I will buy shoes even if I don’t need them ! LOL

Loved your comment on complaining about our men, apartment and shoes, I would complaint about those things and in that exact order too ! LMAO

Samantha, for me will always be my hero, growing up in a repressed catholic family and going to catholic school most of my life, watching her character take life by the hand and have her way with it as she chooses gives me the courage to not put up with BS in my life !

• May 18, 2010 at 2:06 pm

that’s a great comment sister! thanks for sharing. you’re right, it’s the allure of the characters
      and how we each relate to them. Rock on with your hot Samantha self!

• May 18, 2010 at 1:09 pm

First, it’s the lure of living a huge, glamorous life and trying to have it all while wearing the best shoes imaginable. They don’t always get it all but not for lack of trying and what’s not to love about that. Second, it’s the friendship. Men, apartments and shoes come and go but your true friends, are yours for life.

• May 18, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Ah, little Kessa–where have you been mama? I gotta go over and read your post,
      I see you did one on SATC too! girl, you better be nice to my sisters! heheeh

• May 18, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Oh I was nice to them. I love love love them. I just hate how they were edited so much in their pictures. They don’t need the edits. They are beautiful in the movie trailer…
        .-= Kessa Thea´s last blog ..SATC Murdered by Photoshop =-.

• May 18, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I was a late blooming Sex and the City fan but after watching the first season on DVD I was completely hooked. I think what draws me in is their strong bond of friendship. I don’t have many close girlfriends so I’m fascinated by their relationships. I’m also not very girlie but these women let me live out that girlie side of myself. I dressed up and went out for cocktails before the last movie. This year I’m going with a group of girls and we’re pulling out all the stops. Can’t wait!
    .-= Date Girl´s last blog ..Post it Note Tuesday-Daddy Issues =-.

• May 19, 2010 at 10:42 pm

well, better late than NEVER, right? (by the way that also goes for sex with Asians!)

• May 19, 2010 at 4:31 am

Confession: I have never liked the show and didn’t like the movie when my cousin’s wife had me watch it with her. Will not see this movie on pain of pain!

[Oh the shock and horror, a (straight) woman that doesn’t like “Sex in the City”!] LOL!

• May 19, 2010 at 10:43 pm

it’s okay! it takes all kinds–it’s like when Gay men don’t do brunch–it’s not the NORM but they exist.

• May 19, 2010 at 9:16 am

You hit the nail on the head Nando, my partner (not str8 – but not a heads in the cloud type of guy) doesn’t get it, but I do. They represent, in different ways, different caricatures of what we want to be, people we know, and the drama in life that we may not want for ourselves but we can watch and talk about in others. It’s like Golden Girls for the younger set, It’s Steel Magnolias in NYC. We live vicariously through them, for a brief moment we identify with at least one of the ladies, but then come back to earth and real life. It’s our own vacation in our mind away from our own drama and lives.

• May 19, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I knew others felt like me! It’s like we’re connected…by a GAY GENE!

• May 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I think my love for sex and the city can be summed up by one quote, “We’re talking up the butt sir, a cigarette is in order!”

Sex and the City is the encyclopedia for the life I have, the life I want, and the life that happens to me only dreams. I want Carrie’s apartment and writing career, Miranda’s smarts and lawyer-y acumen, Samantha’s sex appeal and balls, Charlotte’s innocence and Jewish husband [what can I say I love the culture…of which there is very little in Vancouver]. I want Sunday Brunches without fail, I want fleet week, I want it all. SATC is to girls (and gay boys :P) what building and rebuilding cars was to 1950s American Hearthrobs.
    .-= SomethingSheDated´s last blog ..It’s My Boy Party and I’ll Enjoy Who I Want To =-.