Are You a Good Witch or a Bad Witch?

Are you a good witch or a bad witch?
Are you a good witch or a bad witch?

We all have good days and bad days–that’s the circle of life–despite what Disney and Elton John try to tell you. So it’s natural that on the good days, we want to share the love and buy everyone tampons and lollipops but on bad days, we want to spread the hate to the point where New York panhandlers are running away from us. Finding balance within ourselves is tough and it’s something that takes a lot of practice and awareness. Some find balance in yoga and others in yogurt–whatever the case, ultimately, are you a good witch or a bad witch?

A few months ago I agreed to accompany a friend to a fashion show that his business was sponsoring. He received four tickets and asked if I’d like to come along with him and the two other friends he had invited. Since I vlog for the beauty industry, my invites to fashion events turn into work for me–but this would be for fun, so the “good friend” in me said yes because I wanted to show support and the “Mexican” in me said yes because of the free alcohol.

Once we arrived to the event, I noticed a pattern.

My Friend: Oh, it’s so cold out.

His friend #1: I can’ t stand this line.

His friend #2: My stupid phone isn’t getting signal.

Once inside, the pattern continued.

My Friend: Oh, it’s so hot in here.

His friend #1: There’s no where to sit.

His friend #2: I hate AT&T.

A waiter came around with drinks on a tray. Everyone reached for one, I reached for two.

My Friend: Is this all they’re giving out?

His friend #1: OMG, it’s so crowded in here.

His friend #2: Great, now that I got through, my dumb boyfriend isn’t picking up.

And the night went downhill from there. I couldn’t help but wanting to slap them all. What is it with people who feel the need to complain all the time? What purpose does it serve? Now, I’m no Polly Anna and won’t give you messages of, “A frown upside down is really smile,” people like that will get deleted on my twitter account and be removed from my facebook lists–but seriously, if all you do is complain during your entire existence, you’re going to call into your life so much more misery. Attending this event with this particular friend reminded me why I only meet up with him once a month–if that. I can’t stand the negativity. He’s such a bad witch, and the friends he hangs out with are all bad witches too.

Now, before I fluff out my Glinda, the good witch gown and polish my tiara, I want to point out one thing–we all have sad stories, we all have bad moments, we all have bad situations that occur and leave us whipped, worn and warped–but–what was your role in it? Sure, sometimes stuff just happens–at least that’s what the bumper sticker says, but how much of the bad stuff in your life are you co-creating? Child, I grew up a fat Gay adopted Mexican kid in the south side of Odessa, Texas–and if I can pick up the pieces and keep it positive–there isn’t anything you can throw at me that will justify a 24/7 negative bad attitude from you. And cursed be the day that the complainers found their way onto twitter–lord, help us all. Get a friend, complain to them–not to us. We don’t want to hear it, at least I don’t. And for those single people out there dating–it’s never gonna happen folks–and if it does, you’re gonna get a complainer just like you. And world–be ware!

With so much bad news around town: earthquakes, floods, Two and a Half Men getting another season on CBS, why do some of us gravitate towards the negative? In a time when we voted in a President that campaigned on “Change” and instilled the “Yes, we can” voice in us and who wanted this time in our lives to focus on good and the wonderment we can accomplish, I can’t help but wonder, “Are you a good witch or a bad witch?

18 thoughts on “Are You a Good Witch or a Bad Witch?

• April 1, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I’m the kind of witch who reads Wicked and can’t get to chapter two because I’m all “THIS IS A TERRIBLE BOOK. I WANT THE MUSICAL BACK NOW PLEASE”
    .-= Blondie┬┤s last blog ..Wishful Thinking =-.

• April 2, 2010 at 8:20 am

wow, not really sure how to comment on that–the blog was about positive or negative outlook on life.

• Pingback: uberVU - social comments

• April 1, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I used to think that I was a bad witch until I moved to Paris. The national past-time here is beyond mere bitching and negativity… bitchativity, if you will. And now I have to overcompensate for a whole country’s worth of poopiness all the time by being a freaking ball of sunshine. I’m tired! But since I discovered Twitter, ya’ll have saved my sanity ­čÖé

How did you manage to make it through that night?? I’m sure that the free booze helped, no?
    .-= Man-shopper┬┤s last blog ..Ms. Brazen Hussy =-.

• April 2, 2010 at 8:23 am

it was all about the booze, sister! heheh it was a rough night & I didn’t even get into the after party we went to. Oy!

• April 1, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I am definitely a good witch. The bad witch usually only comes out when I’m hormonal and/or Mr. Man du jour is effing up big time and thankfully, that’s rare.
    .-= FreeSpiritDiva┬┤s last blog ..Smiling All The Time =-.

• April 2, 2010 at 8:24 am

I am right there with you, sister!

• April 2, 2010 at 10:52 am

Great post! I’m definitely a “Good Witch!” There’s a time to complain, but way more times to be in gratitude (especially if there’s free alcohol involved!)

• April 6, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Thanks Kim! I get that life throws curve balls and we can’t always have a smiley smile attitude–who are we? Miley Cyrus? But you’re so right, let’s be IN GRATITUDE!!

And congrats on your NEW move!!

• April 2, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I’m neither. If the good witch and bad witch were sisters, I’d be their cousin. I have good days and bad days but I’m usually pretty centered and take all that life throws at me with a grain of salt and bitchin hair.

I try not to dwell on the bad stuff and expand on the good when it comes my way.

• April 6, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Child, a cousin works for me. ;0) Thanks for the comment.

• April 5, 2010 at 12:06 am

I was a bad witch for a little while when I got depressed about my life being stagnant. I ended up in Kabbalah classes, meditation classes, anything that would help me out, but eventually it becomes a matter of changing behavior…the thinking follows. Weird, I know but it works.

BTW, I have friends in Odessa. Poor thing. At least I grew up in Houston.
    .-= Kelly┬┤s last blog ..Should dating go green too? =-.

• April 6, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Kelly, I know a little TOO MUCH about that nasty depression. And you are so right, the THINKING FOLLOWS! Thanks for th comment sweetie.

• April 6, 2010 at 5:29 pm

This site caught my eye as you commented on one of my friend’s blogs. This is quite insightful and I wish I had read this like 4 years ago when I was with bad Witches…but lucky enough for me…I kinda knew who they were before we became friends, STILL befriended them, and paid the price…as you do! Oh well, we learn, don’t we? and we grow. much better to be Good, than Bad (which is too much effort).

• April 7, 2010 at 5:04 pm

thanks for stopping by! I love it. It’s all about our evolution, isn’t it? And it’s a great process, but at times painful–like sex with a Mexican. Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see more of ya!

• April 6, 2010 at 8:18 pm

While not exactly complaining, I do have a natural inclination to be pessimistic – i.e. look for the things that can or will go bad in a situation. BUT – I know that, so I work against that grain as much as I can around friends and casual groups.

That trait helps in business analyst because it usually helps bring up things no one has considered and will need to be prepared for.

I’m a worrier too (thanks Mom!) but the blog isn’t about that, so I won’t go into that.

• April 7, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Ah, my dear friend Mike. You? Really? I never would have imagined, seriously! I see you as Glenda. But it goes to show, bottom line, we’re all human and have a little good and bad witch in us–I know I do.

• May 1, 2010 at 8:03 am

I tend to be the bad witch under stress, the good witch when relaxed. I rarely go negative at parties or social events. But don’t expect me to say “Oh Goodie!” when the boss drops a stack of work on the desk and says “it needs to be done before we leave tonight.” In addition nothing brings out the bad witch in me like a gaggle of cackling “good witches” not working when deadline is fast coming.